23.4.12

God’s Billboards

Recently, I’ve seen several billboards that were, ostensibly, signed by God. One such billboard read, “Don’t make me come down there. – God”*

Given that I’m reasonably certain God didn’t place these billboards along roadsides, I've thought them to be somewhat irreverent. But just this past week I decided they might actually convey needed messages. This happened during church.

We were singing a song, aka “praise chorus,” during worship service when the words that came up on the screen caused me to stop singing and think about meaning. The song started out: “Oh, the glory of Your presence…” I took for granted that we were singing to God since we were in church and “your” was capitalized. I sang along, trying to find the tune, until “Come and rise from your rest and be blessed by our praise…” ** appeared on the screen.

So, assuming that “Your” (with the capital Y) was referring to God, we were telling Him to get up and be blessed by us. Not even a polite “Please?” This is where the need for a new billboard from God came to mind. Surely God must have a message for people who make this kind of demand!

I know what I think should be on the billboard, but was wondering what message my readers might suggest. (Or maybe I just need to enroll in a good theology course and discover how this song relates to scripture!)

Ideas?

Picture - Washington Times

*This project was anonymously funded. An advertising firm in Florida, the Smith Agency, is responsible for the campaign’s design.

**Words by Ron Kenoly

6 comments:

  1. Scripture? Sure: He that keepeth thee will not slumber.

    Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. Psalm 121

    Bless the LORD, O my soul Psalm 103

    Here's your sign:
    "Wake up! Wake up! I'm awake!" --God

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanilla, good scriptures to remember. I think your billboard suggestion is very appropriate. Thanks for responding.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps a childhood reminder... "what's the magic word"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captain Nancy, good idea! Thanks for responding.

      Delete
  3. I too am confused by those words. Doesn't make sense to me. The only mention of God resting in the Bible (that I'm aware of) is in reference to the seventh day of creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secondary Roads,you are no doubt correct. I don't recall another scripture that mentions God resting, and I'm very grateful that I can rest securely, knowing that God is always watching over things.

      Delete