Hope - Promise
This week will mark fifty-eight years since two starry-eyed young people, along with their hopes and dreams, and goals, walked down the aisle of a little church in Muncie, Indiana. Much has happened in the years since. Most things are remembered; some are not, but the hopes, dreams, and goals have been realized.
Fifty-Eight Years in Review
- The arrivals of four children, thirteen grandchildren, and six great-grands
- Popping buttons (so to speak) at cribsides
- Brushing back tears during high school and university graduations
- Cheering at sporting events: T-Ball, Soccer, Football, Softball, Wrestling, Basketball, Track, Baseball
- Appreciating K-12 concerts: band, jazz band, orchestra, choir
- Applauding at parades
- Watching our stars perform: plays, musicals, variety shows
- Proudly encouraging military commitment
- Six earned degrees: two bachelors, two masters, and two doctorates
- Careers in education and ministry
- Attendees, delegates, and presenters at multiple conferences and conventions
- Publications of magazine articles and two books
- Professional, church, and organization honors
- Lived in six states: Nebraska, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado
- Been in forty-three of the fifty states + Washington D. C.
- Traveled to England, France, Canada, Mexico, The Philippines, Hong Kong, The Bahamas
- Answered prayers
- Good health
- Christian wedding celebrations of children and grandchildren
- Wonderful additions to our family by marriage
- The privilege of observing thirty-six family birthdays and twelve wedding anniversaries each year
- And, many, many more!
Elvin Merrill Powers
The young man who captured my heart.
My groom sang Irving Berlin’s song, “ALWAYS,” to me before we exchanged our vows.
“I'LL BE LOVING YOU, ALWAYS,
WITH A LOVE THAT'S TRUE, ALWAYS.
WHEN THE THINGS YOU'VE PLANNED,
NEED A HELPING HAND,
I WILL UNDERSTAND, ALWAYS,
DAYS MAY NOT BE FAIR, ALWAYS,
THAT'S WHEN I'LL BE THERE, ALWAYS.
NOT FOR JUST AN HOUR,
NOT FOR JUST A DAY,
NOT FOR JUST A YEAR,
Happy 58th, Hubby!