29.4.18

Research and Word Choices

Things that make me laugh while I’m reading a book include events and verbal expressions inappropriately placed in a time period and words that are misused. When events or expressions are not appropriate to the time period, I assume the author was too caught up in the story to recognize the need for research. However, when a wrong word choice is made, usually one that sounds much like the intended word, I guess that the author does not know better and the editor was “out to lunch,” so to speak. 

A while back, I read a best-selling book that had an example of the latter in the second sentence of the prologue. The author wrote, “He furls his brow…” It also stated that he does this “countless times each day.” Really? How does one furl his or her brow? Is this somewhat like furling a flag? 

Only a couple of months after reading the previously mentioned book, another book on the list of best sellers presented me with a line taken from a TV commercial. Problem? The commercial was made after the historical timeline of the story.

If my editor had been as lackadaisical as it appears some may be, I would not have been required to defend occurrences as being time period appropriate or to prove the existence of objects during the Great Depression. My word that something was correct meant nothing to Ms. Particular Editor. Every response to a challenge had to be supported with data. Yes, there were school buses in the 1920s. Yes, even young people who were poor graduated from high school. Yes, girls who were from wealthy families attended college. No, Hoovervilles did not exist in small towns and rural areas during the Great Depression. 

Much research can now be done online, but some things still need to be researched in document collections. While I was writing Child of Desire,I needed to locate accurate schedules for Colorado passenger train lines in the 1930’s. So, I visited the historical documents room of my public library. The documents there are considered so valuable that nothing can be carried into the room by a researcher. After several hours of searching, I walked out with copies of the information I needed to assure that a travel event in the story would be historically accurate. 

I really hope there are no “almost words” in my novel. But if you find one, please let me know so I can stress about it for the rest of my life.


Colorado Spring, CO, original Carnegie Library which now houses the historical documents collection. The new library is attached to this building.


7 comments:

  1. I spent many happy hours in that building, but trust me, I was not stressing over historical accuracy of period details. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanilla, I know. I think you polished off the youth section before you even entered high school.

      Delete
    2. Begged the librarian to allow me access to the adult section when I was in seventh grade. She permitted it! I even remember the first book I checked out then-- The Count of Monte Cristo.

      Delete
    3. That's heavy reading for a seventh grader. I'm sure you received permission because the librarian realized you had already polished off the children's section. Interesting that there are no longer restricted areas in libraries - at least not that I know about.

      Delete
    4. "No longer restricted areas. . ." and a good thing, too. They even let me go into the children's section now!

      Delete
    5. Some books published for children make for. great adult reading.

      Delete
  2. I have not been on this blog for some time and apparently need to figure out how to comment with my own name again. So for now I’m “Anonymous”. Vee

    ReplyDelete