22.4.18

Moving On

Hubby and I received a record player as a wedding present. It played 45’s, 78’s and 33⅓’s.We deemed it to be quite the special possession. 

Over the next few years, we collected what records we could afford and owned enough to provide a decent variety. Hubby liked Southern Gospel. Me? Not so much! Being the more “worldly” one, I preferred Pat Boone and a little bit of Elvis. I can still hear Pat crooning, “With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair.” Then the 8-Track debuted. Although the 8-Track craze was short-lived, we had sufficient time to get on board and, in doing so, stir up the Southern Gospel/Other Music controversy.

Not long after moving into the land of 8-Trackdom, we discovered that a new development was entering the electronic world of sound. What we needed now was a cassette player to play music stored on little tapes. This was a format I liked, and one I stubbornly hung onto even after the introduction of the next big innovation, CD’s. But then I traded cars and, much to my dismay, discovered that there was no cassette player in my new model. So, once again, I had to pitch my favs - even the Judds!

I have come to accept changes in our tech savvy world, but was surprised at how quickly readers moved toward choosing eBooks over print books. As a result, much has changed with regard to the way authors publish. 

Even though originally one of the “hold-out people” who admired a book and savored the smoothness of the paper as I turned each page, I soon found myself enjoying the convenience of a lightweight reader. Okay, I’ll admit it, I felt a little guilty about that. But where else can I purchase a classic for ninety-nine cents or even get a free book?

The second edition of Child of Desire is on Kindle Publishing and, because so many e-Readers have been marketed, I made the decision not to offer print copies. Enjoy the convenience.


Clipart: Hawthorne K-12 - NJ


4 comments:

  1. I've found over the years that it's not as exciting, but a lot more affordable to ride the backside of the technology wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secondary Roads, good way to save! There are features on my iPhone that I still don't understand and I'm several models behind. But it's a good phone so I'm not moving up.

      Delete
    2. Still riding the backside-- a long way back of e-reader, or whatever you called it. (Have you noted that the CD is dead now, too, and cars don't even have players for them now.)

      Delete
    3. Everything just keeps moving on. Someday I will move on out and won't have to worry anymore about change. (Not too soon though, I hope.)

      Delete