2.4.17

INHALE/EXHALE

Below is the printed prayer our church has requested that we pray daily. The tile of the prayer is, “Exhale."

            We inhale Your love.
                        We Exhale our selfish desires. (Breath deep/exhale.)

            We inhale Your peace.
                        We Exhale our anxiety. (Breath deep/exhale.)

            We inhale Your love.
                        We Exhale our apathy. (Breath deep/exhale.)

            We inhale Your presence.
            We Exhale our fear of being known and the fear to know.
 (Breath deep/exhale.)
           
            We inhale Your life-sustaining Spirit.
                        We Exhale our dependence on all things other than you.
 (Breath deep/exhale.)

            For in exhaling, we are able to
                        boldly proclaim, Thy Kingdom Come.

I’m troubled and uncomfortable with praying this prayer and have questions related to some reading I’ve been doing. 



“It [yoga] teaches one to focus on oneself instead of on the one true God. It encourages its participants to seek the answers to life's difficult questions within their own consciousness …”
     ~ gotquestions.org

“If you think, “I breathe,” the “I” is extra. There is no you to say “I.” What we call “I” is just a swinging door which moves when we inhale and when we exhale. It just moves; that is all. When your mind is pure and calm enough to follow this movement, there is nothing: no “I,” no world, no mind nor body; just a swinging door.”
     ~ Shunryu Suzuki in Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.

Clipart from: Cliparts.com

4 comments:

  1. You are wise in being troubled. Clearly this focuses on the self rather than on the Eternal God of our Salvation. Mindfulness meditation from the Theravada tradition: ". . .cultivate noble qualities hidden deep down in our subconscious mind." Yep. All about ME.

    Salvation by grace alone by faith in Jesus Christ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know the philosopher of the family agrees with me. The first time we said the prayer in church (with the leader dramatically breathing in and out) I just stood with my mouth open. I'm thinking this kind of modernization might not be what our young people need.

      Delete
  2. I understand that you are troubled and share that feeling. Perhaps for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secondary Roads, thanks for the affirmation. I try not to be "that critic," but I think the church needs to protect our youth from intermingling of religions.

      Delete