28.6.15

Delicious Without Eggs

My most recent trip to the grocery store caused me to question whether or not I should continue to purchase eggs. At almost four dollars a dozen I’m thinking maybe I need to cook and bake without them.

Hunting through my old recipes, I came up with several desserts that do not use eggs. As my way of being helpful to budget-wise cooks out there, though not helpful at all to egg farmers, I will be sharing some of these recipes with my readers.

We are heading to Michigan (one of my favorite places) this week for a two-week vacation. While we are gone, no-egg dessert recipes will appear on this blog. These are recipes our family has enjoyed for many years.

The recipe below for applesauce cake is exhibit one in defense of deliciousness without eggs. It is always a crowd pleaser.

Applesauce Cake
From the kitchen of Verla Powers

    2 c. brown sugar                          
    1 c. butter                             
    2 c. applesauce                                                            
    1 c. raisins                                                       
    1 c. nuts  
    2 1/2 c. flour  
    1 tsp. each: baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg 
    1/4 tsp. salt                                                      

Cream butter and sugar together. Add applesauce, raisins, and nuts. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and spices together. Add to mixture. Gradually beat after each addition. Pour into a greased and floured 9" x 13" pan. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.


~Image from cakechooser



4 comments:

  1. Spouse served up a beautiful frittata for lunch. Guess I should think of it as a "rich" meal, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Vanilla. Your part of that frittata probably cost around a dollar plus all the fixings (onions, potatoes, cheese, mushrooms, greens, etc.) Maybe that is still less costly than a quarter pound hamburger. Making the hamburger would cost probably $1.25 + bun + pickles + mustard + ketchup + tomatoes + lettuce - and potato chips, of course. Maybe we should stop with the eating already.

      Delete
  2. With what I paid for food during the month of June, I don't think eggs are the only thing escalating in price. Maybe it is time for me to consider a prudent weight loss endeavor. Looking forward to trying the applesauce cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilene, yes everything is going up in price. I may need to give up lettuce soon.

      Delete