25.7.11

What’s in a Name?

Over the weekend I was thinking maybe I should start a business that creates original names for new churches. What brought this to mind you might ask – or not. But even though the question may not have entered your mind, here’s the answer. I saw a reference to a new church “plant” last week that was called, “Overflow Church.” This clued me in to the fact that the apparent important consideration in naming a church is that it be different.  Maybe this is good since finding a church named “Harvest,” “Cornerstone,” or “New Life” would involve driving only a few miles from one’s home.

My first choice for the name of a new church plant would be “Church of We Dare You to Discover What We Believe.” But that’s a little long to get on a sign, so I looked to past experience for an idea.

While stressing over what to name my novel, I discovered a random title generator on the internet. There should be a warning on the site that tells people it is addictive. I know from experience that it can become a mesmerizing pastime. This random generator gave me names such as “Secret of Waves” and “The Valley of the Window.” But with all of the time I spent asking for titles, and as different as the titles were, I kept the name for my novel that I dreamed up on my own.

I’m quite sure I can create a better random name generator than did the book title people. I will use my version for naming churches.  This will simply involve entering words from my concordance as well as current catch phrases and words. With my very first effort (random pointing with eyes closed) I came up with “Superior Fortress Church” and “Double-Edged Fellowship.” I might suggest the former for a suburban wanna-be mega church that dares non-suburban types to attempt to become a part of the club. The latter would probably be fitting for the congregation that has yet to craft a statement of beliefs.

Okay, back to the drawing board!  My after-the-fact internet search found a “Mighty Fortress Church” and a "Double-Edged Sword Church.” It really is hard to come up with an original name for a new church! Maybe we should just follow the example of banks and use such names as First Third Baptist or Twelfth Fourth First Methodist. Just a suggestion!


...that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” (William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet)

4 comments:

  1. I have long been partial to "Ebenezer", theme song the hymn containing the line, "Here I'll raise mine Ebenezer." Visitors will all "what th'?" Oh, wait. That one has been taken. Often.

    Near our place "up north," there is a "Northern Little Dove Old Regular Baptist Church" and they got it all on the sign. I always liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanilla, I guess maybe my original name would not have been too long for a sign. Ebenezer - well, maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you come up with something better than the Freedom Center for our new building?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure no one would like a name I might come up with!

    ReplyDelete