27.5.18

Beware

Sometimes I feel inspired to write, sometimes I don’t. Writing a dissertation is a good example of a time when I felt compelled, but not inspired to write. That dissertation is what I now refer to as my “Gummi Bear Project.”

It would seem that a looming deadline should mean scheduling writing into one’s day, thus making it a priority. Not so for me! Deadlines seem to cause a little voice inside of my head to whisper, “You can do that later.” Because I often listen to that quiet little voice, I find myself writing against deadlines in the wee hours of the morning. This is where gummi bears enter the scene. When I’m writing during hours when I should be sleeping, I consume lots and lots of chewy food. After trying many things that messed with the computer keyboard and my waistline, I finally discovered these tasty little bears.

I think I have tried every kind of gummi candy on the market and I know which stores to visit in case of a middle-of-the-night emergency. So, based on my extensive experience, I am a self-proclaimed expert on gummi bears and I declare the best of the best to be Haribo®Gold-Bears®.


Even though I’m many years past my dissertation and Child of Desire has now been published in two editions, I still crave gummies while I’m typing.

I know, I know! They are little animal-shaped lumps made with sugar, glucose, corn syrup, starch, citric acid, gelatin, flavoring, coloring, and a few other things thrown in just for good measure. Empty calories. I also know there are some who contend that gummi candies may harbor prions, cause tooth decay, and contribute to obesity.  I don’t really care. (Just so you know.)

So, if you ever see an open package of Haribo Gold-Bears® beside my computer, I’m meeting a deadline. Beware! My mood may be a little bearish and I might attack in order to protect my gummies.




2 comments:

  1. And again I ask, Have you seen the annoying TV commercial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Vanilla, I have seen the commercial but that little annoyance does not influence how I feel.

    ReplyDelete