27.8.12

Do You Write?

Writing has been one of the loves of my life. When I was very young, I no doubt overrated my ability as a writer. Therefore, I tackled each writing task I was assigned with great confidence. I was convinced that my poems were better than those of other students and that my stories provided great enjoyment for my teachers. Since no one offered a contradictory view, my faith in my ability kept me writing.

Throughout my career in education, I promoted writing activities that I hoped would foster a love of writing in my elementary, middle level, and university students. My elementary students learned to write personal accounts, short stories, and defend their beliefs. My middle-school students were introduced to sixteen poetry styles and used a self-directed poetry center to improve their poetry writing skills. Students in my college classes, much to their distress, also were required to complete numerous writing assignments including, for some, interactive student/instructor journaling.

I hope that during my thirty years as an educator I passed along some of my enthusiasm for writing to my students. Two of them recently published, so now my bookshelves hold books written by former students. That seems an indication to me that they learned to love writing.

When was the last time you were involved in purposeful writing? Ten years ago, author, John Riddle, founded “I Love to Write Day.” This day is celebrated in schools, bookstores, libraries, and community centers across the United States as children and adults discover and rediscover the joy of writing.  If it has been a while since you wrote something, check out the “I Love to Write” web page at: http://www.ilovetowriteday.org/  Get involved in the fun on November 15!



Clipart by OCAL

No comments:

Post a Comment