- “Downed wires should always be considered "live." STAY AWAY FROM ALL DOWNED LINES. Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything with which it might be in contact. To report a downed wire or other visible equipment damage, call 1-800 ... . Provide the street as well as the nearest cross street.
- Check on the safety of your elderly neighbors. See if they are safe and if they need extra blankets or other help. Contact local officials if assistance is needed.
- Do not try to use a gas oven or range to heat a room. The appliance will deplete oxygen from the air, causing asphyxiation or deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Be cautious if using space heaters. Read and follow the manufacturer's instructions and heed warning labels. Be sure all members of the household understand how to operate space heaters safely.”
It was sweet that those electric company people had the best interests of their customers at heart. Really very sweet! And, if the customers weren’t asphyxiated by gas ranges and didn’t burn down their homes with space heaters (electric?), probably many got a laugh at the expense of those who wrote the thoughtful daily updates and then had senior moments before pressing “send.”
But those Northeasterners aren’t the only ones who have apparent lapses of memory when sending messages to people who have lost power. High winds in our state over the last few days have caused severe damage and loss of power in some areas. While searching the internet yesterday, this message came up on the local TV station feed I have on my computer.