19.4.15

No More Wondering

Sunday worship service is always time of anticipation for me. I never fail to hold onto the hope that during that hour I will learn something new and/or relevant. This morning, I was not disappointed. It was during a Teen/Dad ensemble number that I was enlightened.

For years I have wondered what happened to the hymnals for which churches paid large sums of money. Now I know. During the song, First Morning in Heaven,* I heard the words, “Get all those hymn books turned and ready. We’re gonna sing every song in that book.”




Well, now I know. But I also have a new question. How many hymns in “that book” will be appropriate for the setting?

Just a glass half empty kind of day, I guess!


FYI: The Free Online Dictionary defines gonna as a contraction of going to (informal, of course). Why did I waste all of that breath correcting my children?


*© The Imperials

6 comments:

  1. As a teen, I worked my way through our church's hymnal. I played each on the piano and tried to sing them. There are lots of excellent hymns that seem to have very low mileage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secondary Roads, it's closer to no mileage at my church. We sing one hymn per Sunday.

      I also played the piano and went through the hymn book attempting to learn each one. By the time I was sixteen, I was playing for church.

      Delete
  2. Wonder who paid the shipping to get them all to the Destination? And you are gonna be asking yourself lots of questions in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanilla, maybe just not more wondering about the hymn books. Interesting that someone thinks there will be material things in heaven. But that is a reflection of how we think in our society.

      Delete
  3. Hey! In heaven the streets are paved with gold, and I have a mansion up there. At least that's what the old hymnal says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilene, yep apparently along with the hymnals that affirm those things.

      Delete