12.10.14

Hot Dogs and S’Mores

It had many years since I roasted hot dogs over a campfire, but last evening I rediscovered the joy of open-fire cooking with members of my Sunday School class. Once my dog became black, I slapped in on a bun and slathered it with mustard. A big helping of relish completed my perfect creation. Yum! It tasted as good as I remembered and was enjoyed along with baked beans, deviled eggs, chips and dip, and hot apple cider.

The most delicious treat of the evening was saved for last. S’mores. By the time I was ready to fix my treat, the fire had died down and my marshmallows were toasted to perfection over the hot coals. My campfire treat made the whole idea of microwave s’mores laughable. It’s not just the gooey center, it’s also the crispy outside that provides that finger-licking-good chocolate and marshmallow stuffing between two graham crackers.

As we were finishing our meal, we enjoyed a beautiful orange and red sunset. This reminded me of something I heard a while back: “Do not worry if you feel low; the sun has a sinking spell every night, but rises again all right the next morning.”

Because I enjoyed this fall activity so much, I was inspired to bake an apple pie. This is the first foodie picture I’ve ever posted. (Well, by definition, I'm not actually a foodie.) Maybe I should have done some “staging” with a cookbook and my pretty yellow mum. Too late!



4 comments:

  1. The pie stands alone, as it should. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanilla, thanks. I think you are one of a few not into "staging."

      Delete
  2. That apple pastry looks like perfection pieified. Do you eat it with a slice of sharp cheddar? Or do you prefer ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secondary Roads, apple pie is only one of the reasons I love fall. I usually eat mine with ice cream. Hubby has me put his into a bowl and he pours cream over it. (I like it with a slice of cheddar, also, if the pie is still warm.)

      Delete